It is imperative to register within 14 days of your arrival in India with FRRO.

If you stay more than 6 months, you must register with the FRRO (East Block, No. 8, Level-II, R.K. Puram-1, New Delhi-110066 - that is behind Bhikaji Cama - 9.30 am- 1.30 pm; 2-4 pm). The FRRO director is an IPS officer. Try to go early.


  • Your passport
  • A copy of the passport and student / research visa
  • A bonafide student letter from Centre / School
  • Scholarship holders take the ICCR certificate
  • Non-scholarship holders need proof of sufficient funds (on a bank account);
  • 4 passport photos;
  • Check your air/train fare for flight/train number;
  • A pen and a book to read while you wait.
  • Fill in 3 copies of FORM ‘A’ and 1 Residence Permit (RC);
  • If you forgot, you can make copies and photos at FRRO.


  • Extension of the stay for the duration of the course.
  • Grant of 1 additional entry / year (e.g. for fieldwork).
  • Permission to change institution and course if both are approved, recognized and full time course.

Also in FRRO

  • Extension of stay up to 15 days if you have a confirmed air ticket if no flight is available.
  • Regularisation of overstay of visa up to 3 months under genuine exigent conditions.
  • Short extension of 3 months for foreigners applying for a long term extension on student visa.
  • Endorsement of old visa/exit permission on new passport in case you lost your passport.
  • Visa extensions and restricted area permits (e.g. Sikkim, Manipur, Andaman Islands);
  • You need permission ("no objection") from FRRO in your RC when you leave India if you do not have a multiple entry visa.
  • If you have to leave India urgently, the Home Ministry (Lok Nayak Bhavan, Khan Market,10-12am) can give you a letter for FRRO to issue a “Return Visa” if you do not have a multiple entry visa.


  • Those travelling by air are permitted to exit from an airport different from the airport of entry.
  • Those travelling by land have to enter and exit through the same land check post.
  • Those entering by air are allowed to leave through land check post if they inform the check post of entry. Those entering through Haridaspur land check post only can be allowed to exit through Calcutta airport.
  • Students can be allowed to go to third countries for fieldwork if they have supporting documents.


  • All students up to MPhil need a student visa before coming to India.
  • In 1997 a new “research” visa was introduced which is necessary to register for MPhil/PhD students. Those who go home between MA and MPhil can get it done in the Indian High Commission given sufficient time, otherwise you have to come to India on a student visa and change it into a research visa.
  • Self-financing students have to do it through the HRD Ministry (Shastri Bhavan, room 537, M. Rizvi, tel. 2338 5293) and MHA.
  • ICCR scholarship holders’ applications will have to go only through MHA.


  • 6 application forms signed by the VC or Registrar (forms from HRD, Department of Education, or from the Indian High Commission);
  • 6 copies of a bonafide certificate (“affiliation certificate”) stating that you are a JNU student;
  • 6 copies of your passport;
  • 6 copies of your synopsis (do not include the words “supercomputers, remote sensing, religion, North East, Kashmir, communal, Islam” in the title) of minimum 1,000 words;
  • 6 copies of the description of where you want to go for fieldwork (“itinerary”); and
  • 6 photographs.

HRD will issue a letter for MHA (Khan Market) which directs FRRO to issue an “under consideration” in your RC. Wait for 3 to 6 months. MHA takes about 2 months.