• Your passport with student/research visa
  • Your original degrees (with attested translation)
  • A letter from your home university/embassy explaining the degree level/equivalence to Indian degrees
  • A letter from your scholarship institution
  • A photocopy of the first pages of the passport
  • A photocopy of your student/research visa
  • An attested photocopy of your degrees
  • Around 20 passport photographs (get them cheaply from KC)
  • Money for the tuition and hostel fees
  • A pen and a note pad; and, last but not least,
  • A smile ;-)

First go to the Administration Building, Admission Branch (West Wing, ground floor, room 024), they should have your original application. The officer will give you a slip for the cashier.

Only from 930am-1230pm you can pay the tuition fee to the cashier in the Finance Section (room 013), either in US $ or in Indian Rupees.

ICCR scholars just ask for the receipt (when the money has reached JNU, sometimes it’s delayed) in room 013 (Finance Section). If your money has not come from ICCR, check whether your name is on the list, if not, call ICCR using a phone from the Finance Section or contact FSA President.

Students from developing countries can request a discount on the tuition fee. Continuing students have to state the reasons why they cannot pay the whole amount, and indicate how many percent discount they require. The Fee Waiver Committee (Rector, DSW, Finance Officer, Co-ordinator, Deputy-Registrar, Foreign Students’ Advisor) decides on a case by case basis. Appeal is possible but fee waivers are never retro-active.

Go back to the Admissions Branch with the Fee Receipt. Keep it and make a copy, you will need it later; the Admission Branch (room 024) then issues four copies of the admission folios. Fill in and deposit the last two folios in the Admission Branch.

With your filled folios, go to Dean of Students, fill the form and apply for Hostel. For Details about Hostels please click

Go to your AO and School administration, then to your Centre (learn the abbreviation of your Centre by heart, e.g. CSCSEASWPS!) to copy the exact name and number of the courses on the study cards. Get the chairperson/supervisor’s signature and give the folios to the places mentioned in the upper right corner: “Dean of Students”, “Dean’s”, “Centre’s”, “Evaluation Branch’s” and Students Copy is for you.

You can take credit and non-credit courses. Courses can be dropped and added. Contact AO for the last date of adding and dropping course. The drop/add cards are with the AO.

Scholarship holders must ask for a JOINING REPORT form from ICCR and get it signed/stamped by the Dean of the School; this will be the basis (the duration of the course) on which they will receive their scholarship.

After your folios are signed go to library, fill the form and get your students ID number. Fill form for library card as well which u can collect after few days.

Get your I-card in the School (i.e. stamped/signed by the AO). Carry it always. If you lose it, you have to go to the Police Station (Nelson Mandela Marg, Vasant Vihar) for an FIR which you show in the school.


CASUAL students can choose different courses in different Schools and/or Centers. They will only be graded per course but not receive a degree. Foreign casual students get a hostel room just like regular students. The admission procedure and the tuition fee are the same as regular students, but they can apply and come throughout the year.

As a casual student you apply on the same application form as all other students. It does not matter much whether you apply for MA or M.Phil as long as you apply for the right centre and school. So you write for example: MA, CSSS, Casual student on your application. It is also possible to apply as a casual student with a scholarship through ICCR.

As a casual student you are registered at one centre and can choose any classes you want in any centre or school. If you want to take classes at other Centers, you have to write a letter to the chairperson(s) of the other centre(s), which should be signed by the chairperson from your own centre. This is for example the case if you want to take additional Hindi courses (twice a week) at the Centre of Indian languages.

The teachers will write you a letter for a credit that you passed the classes if you attend the classes regularly, take exam and give term papers.

When you arrive in JNU as a casual student at the Administration Building, you only have to fill out five copies of folio.

Folio distribution: one copy is for

  • The Dean of students
  • The school
  • The centre
  • The administration branch
  • Students Copy

As a casual student you can get a hostel by following the same procedure as regular students.

As a casual student, however, you cannot take books out of the library, but you will get a consultation card that allows you to read there and photocopy.

Generally the rules for casual students are quite relax, so you will not be caught up in the 'big' rules.


“Single Window Registration”

  • 1 week before registration starts: surrender your old tickets in the library and fill in the register and clearance slip (keep it safely) at the Registration
  • Pay the mess bill in your hostel (keep the receipt)
  • Go to the Admn. Bld. and get the receipt of the tuition fee after paying tuition fee or collecting the receipt if you are the ICCR Scholar.
  • Go to the School office:

- show the mess bill receipt

- get 6 colour folios

  • Go to your Centre for:

- filling in the folios

- signature + stamp of dean / supervisor / chairperson

  • Go back to the School to get AO, SO signatures on your folios and on the new sticker on your I-card
  • Deposit the folios marked “Centre”, “Evaluation Branch” and “Dean’s Copy” with the AO in the School
  • Deposit the folio “Dean of Students” at Dean of Students
  • Go to the hostel with the “Hostel” folio
  • Go after a week to the library to get the new tickets